The efforts of Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) have once again proved to be fruitful for the public. PITB in collaboration with the Punjab Police has successfully introduced the digital system in all 712 police stations in the province.
The inauguration ceremony of the digital system was attended by the Prime Minister Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif, Chief Minister Punjab Shahbaz Sharif, IG Punjab and all the other high officials at the Central Police Office in Lahore.
It has been very difficult for the Pakistani citizens to register FIRs and complaints whenever they visit a police station. The manual record keeping of the FIRs, Criminals Database and other administrative and operational chores was very difficult. There was a lot of room for human errors in it as well. One of the major concerns was the security of the data as the files were placed in the cabinets and could be accessed by anyone.
With the introduction of an automated system, modernized Criminal Record Offices have been established in the 36 different districts of Punjab. The other important institutional reforms which have been introduced include:
- “Complaint Management System (CMS)” which has computerized the complaints of the individuals.
- IT educated civilians will be running the newly established “Front Desks/Reception Rooms”.
- Employing “Police Station Record Management System (PSRMS)” for data automation and improving the readability.
- Establishing “Criminal Record Management System (CRMS)” which will facilitate the criminal record management and identifying the criminals using their biometrics, previous crime history, and physical appearance. The system is also integrated with Tenant Registration System and Hotel Eye because of which the hotel guests and tenants having some kind of criminal record can be identified throughout Punjab.
- IGP Complaint Center 8787.
- The police will be directed to take action by monitoring and maintaining law and order through “Operational Media Center”.
- 5 cities of Punjab will be monitored through CCTV camera under the “Punjab Safe City Authority”
- Establishment of “IGP Monitoring Cell” to look after the IT-related activities of the Punjab Police.
Both the Prime Minister and the Chief Minister have appreciated the combined efforts of PITB and Punjab Police towards digitization of the system. The Prime Minister also said that the police should work to change the perception of the people and eliminate the negative “Thana” culture idea from their minds. This will help in making the environment friendlier for the visitors. He has advised other provinces as well to follow the suit of Punjab Police and make the necessary arrangements in their system to incorporate technology.
- pitb thana culture: google