On November 25, Daraz became the first ever Pakistani online store that reached the trademark of PKR 1 billion during the annual Black Friday sale. There were increased visits to the website prior to the start of the sale but at midnight, on 25th November, the Pakistani website claimed that the flow of the traffic truly increased leading a number of Pakistanis to hit the website.
According to the stats which have been shared by the online company, around 20 percent of the Pakistani population visited the website during the Black Friday. The simultaneous traffic was 5 times larger as compared to last year’s highest traffic.
Within a few hours of the sale, Daraz already surpassed all the previous records. The momentum of the sales was so incredible that in the very first 10 seconds, the company received shopping orders equivalent to two regular days which established a very successful start of this annual sale.
For months, Daraz had been preparing for this amazing sale and had set deals with all the partner companies and sellers with the purpose of training them for it. In order to let all the customers enjoy amazing deals, Daraz had stocked well all the popular products so that any kind of shortage can be avoided.
In a matter of a few minutes, thousands of orders were confirmed with the first ones being delivered within the next 48 hours.
Co-CEO Daraz Group, Bjarke Mikkelsen said, “Reaching Rs 1 billion in sales on a single day is a milestone not only for Daraz, but for all of Pakistan. E-commerce is no longer a small part of the market but a cornerstone of the retail market. This year we focused on having a very large assortment of deals with deep inventory and a great shopping experience, so all our customers could get the products they had been dreaming of. I want to thank our sellers and our amazing team for making this possible.”
- This year, Daraz had already passed the orders of the last years’ Black Friday at 10 am in the morning.
- 55 percent of the orders were made through mobile devices. This is a clear indication of Pakistan becoming a mobile-first market.
- The online prepayment method was a foremost option by most of the customers who believed that it was safe and convenient. Easypaisa mobile account was a hot favorite too with 35 percent of the customers paying through prepaid transactions.
- As compared to all of 2016, more packages of Sunsilk and Ponds were bought on Black Friday alone.
- Within 10 minutes, Zong’s flash sale of offering 1 GB in Rs. 1 was sold out.
- Daraz Online Shopping app was down for about an hour because of trending so much on the app store.
Daraz came up with the idea of Black Friday last year in Pakistan and in 2016, all the other retailers are banking on the idea with the whole country buzzing about the discounts on Black Friday.
Every second ad on the radio was about Black Friday sale. The TV not only reported the Black Friday sales from the major cities of Karachi but also from Peshawar and Multan.
In all the leading malls, people were queuing up outside their favorite retailers for the numerous Black Fridays sales that were taking place. It is a thing of pride for Daraz to initiate an ongoing trend in the country.
- daraz-blackfriday: pbs.twimg